Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Just a reminder: If you'd like us to review anything in particular, you can email me at f1r3w1z4rd@gmail.com

And now, here's my review!
I read the review for The Vampire's Assistant in the newspaper, and it almost convinced me not to go. Almost. But, I decided to stick with my first instinct that the movie was something that I wanted to see, and went anyway. And I wasn't disappointed.
The Vampire's Assistant is about teenage Darren Shan, who gets good grades and doesn't really get into trouble. His best friend Steve Leonard is the troublemaker, and one day convinces Darren to skip class. While out, they find a flyer for Cirque du Freak, a traveling freak show. When they go, they see everything from a wolfboy, to a psychic girl with a beard, to a man with a performing, multi-colored, poisonous spider. The man, Larten Crepsley, is a vampire that turns Darren into a half vampire, in return giving Darren the antidote to save Steve from a fatal spider bite. Darren then must fake his own death and go to live with the Cirque du Freak.
Meanwhile, Steve gets mixed in the wrong crowd: the vampaneze. Being led to believe that Darren stole his dream of becoming a vampire, Steve falls victim to Mr. Tiny, a man with plans of war. As Darren learns more about what he's gotten himself into, the war between the vampaneze and the vampires seems inevitable, no matter what the truce says.
I'd like to know what the people who have read the books think of the movie, as I've heard that Rebecca the monkey-girl is an added character that's not in the books. So please comment or email!

I warn you that, if you don't want the books to be spoiled for you, you shouldn't look at the imdb (or Wikipedia, for that matter, as quite a few books were spoiled for me there as well) site for this film. The books were spoiled quite a bit for me while I was doing research for my review.

I thought this movie was great fun, with humor mixed in with adventure, I'd give this movie 3 stars, and I'd definitley like to read the books!

No comments: